SAAFoST Northern Branch Lecture
New Environmental Legislation - challenges for the food industry
Speaker: Liz Anderson
Industry today faces increasing global challenges of consumer pressures and new legislation to protect people, property, and the environment. This presentation will give an overview of important principles and regulations that food professionals need to be aware of, and that could have a significant effect on the way that business is currently being conducted, such as:
- The National Environmental Management Act - Duty of Care, Precautionary Principle and Polluter Pays
- Sustainable use of resources, Life Cycle and Environmental Impact Assessments
- Waste Management Act - re-use, reduce, recycle, priority waste and contaminated land
- Extended Producer Responsibility for your packaging & waste + Consumer Protection Act
- New waste Classification regulations, Registration of waste and reporting requirements for waste licences
- UN TDG & GHS Classification require specific packaging & labelling of hazardous products including food acids, GMO’s, etc.,
LIZ ANDERSON is the President of RPMASA, the Responsible Packaging Management Association of Southern Africa and represents the Association at the UN Sub-Committee of Experts for Transport of Dangerous Goods (the only representative from Africa). She is a member of several professional bodies, including the SA Society of Quality of which she is a Fellow, and has served on numerous “environmental” committees - of the SABS, several government departments, the Durban Chamber of Commerce and Industry and others. Liz has a BSc in Food Science from the University of Reading.
Tuesday 28 September 2010
The Conference Centre, Pick ‘n Pay Office Park.
Address: 2 Allum Road, Kensington. (Close to Eastgate Shopping Centre).
|17:30 for 18:00:
||Arrival & welcome
|18:00 to 19:00:
||Announcements, presentation and discussion
||Refreshments and dinner
WARNING - prepare for heavy afternoon traffic in this area by setting out 30 minutes earlier.
R60 per person for dinner. Full time students R30-00
Attendance of lecture only is free but booking is essential in order to gain access to the site.
Please book through Irene Burke - not later than Wednesday 22 September.
NB: this is earlier than usual, Friday 24 is a public holiday
Book by e-mail: email@example.com or
Fax: 086 698 4784 or
Tel: 012- 349 2788
Kindly provide the following information:
Indicate whether any vegetarians are staying for dinner.
- Name(s) of all attendees
- Number of people for lecture only:
- Number of people for dinner and lecture:
Cash only, on the night please.
If you cannot make it, please cancel by Wednesday 22 September or preferably, send someone in your place.
Anyone who registers for supper and does not attend will regrettably have to be invoiced.