The South African Association for Food Science and Technology (SAAFoST) Foundation is inviting interested Food Science and Technology Professionals who already have a B.Sc or B.Tech degree in Food Science and/or Technology to apply for a postgraduate bursary in Journalism. The SAAFoST Foundation is offering 1 bursary per year for a working professional who already holds a B.Sc or B.Tech degree in Food Science and/or Technology to participate in part-time or full-time postgraduate study in journalism.
The selection of candidates is based on the following criteria:
- Applicant’s must already have a B.Sc or B.Tech degree in Food Science and/or Technology and any applications not including a copy of said B.Sc or B.Tech degree will be disregarded and no further correspondence will be entered into.
- Applicants must enroll for full time or part-time postgraduate study for a journalism course of their choice from media management, through to investigative journalism at a South African Tertiary Institution or recognised Training Institute with appropriate credentials, and complete his /her chosen study programme within 1 year.
- Study may be by correspondence, on-line or attendance of lectures.
- Applicants must be South African citizens who have been resident in South Africa for at least 3 years prior to application.
- Applicants will be required to provide a letter of intent of not more than 1 A4 page identifying his / her interest in journalism as a profession, motivation for applying for the bursary and why they should be selected. This motivation should demonstrate financial need.
- The applicant must through his/her application and interview be able to demonstrate genuine commitment and potential to be a successful journalist in the field of Food Science and related scientific fields.
The bursary includes financial assistance for the following:
- Actual tuition fees for the duration of the study programme for up to 1 year of study and to a maximum of R10 000.00.
- Granting of bursaries is not automatic and the SAAFoST Foundation reserves the right not to award a bursary.
- Only applicants who apply within the specified date and have completed the required application forms will be considered.
- Applicants must be Professional Members of SAAFoST and remain active for the duration of study.
- The SAAFoST Foundation makes the final decision regarding granting of the bursary.
Download the application form in Adobe PDF format.
Closing date for applications: 31 October
Review period: November – December
Award announcement: January
Completed applications must be e-mailed to the SAAFoST Membership Development Officer:
SAAFoST Membership Development Officer
PO Box 35233
Tel: 071 870 2633