Only the Tertiary Institutions listed below may nominate candidates for this award.
To honour the late Professor B H Koeppen who was Head of the Department of Food Science at Stellenbosch University up to his death in 1980, the SAAFoST Foundation has made available two postgraduate scholarships, “The Koeppen Memorial Scholarships”, one for a Master’s degree programme and one for a doctorate degree programme valued at R 35 000 per annum per scholarship towards tuition fees.
Where a student already has a bursary or other awards which cover part or all of the tuition fees, the scholarship shall be applied towards educational purposes limited to academic conferences, study materials, study visits and research, but only with the prior written approval of the SAAFoST Foundation. In such cases, a letter of invitation from the applicable institution, proof of registration, accepted abstract for a presentation or poster, proof of attendance and a report on the activity undertaken will be required.
Only the Tertiary Institutions listed below may nominate candidates for this scholarship. Names of students registered for Masters and Doctorate degrees in the Departments of Food Science at the Universities of Stellenbosch, Pretoria, Venda and the Free State or the Departments of Food Technology at the Durban University of Technology, Cape Peninsula University of Technology, the Tshwane University of Technology or the University of Johannesburg may be submitted by the respective Department Heads as candidates for this award. Each department may nominate one candidate.
- The student must have been a member of SAAFoST for at least one year preceding the application.
- The student must have been registered for the relevant postgraduate programme for at least one year before a nomination is made.
- The student must be a South African citizen or a permanent resident of South Africa.
- The nomination must be accompanied by a progress report approved by the Supervisor of the research work conducted during the previous year.
- Nominations and recommendations should also be based on academic excellence in previous degree results.
- Nominations, recommendations and the progress report must reach the SAAFoST Membership Development Officer by 15 February.
The closing date for applications is 15 February 2023.
Ensure that you provide the following documentation with the completed nomination form:
- A copy of nominees’ complete academic records of previous degrees;
- Approved progress report of the research work conducted during the previous year
- Proof of registration;
- Proof of SAAFoST membership;
- A copy of nominees’ Identity Documents or proof of South African permanent residence status
- Proof of any other financial support being received.
Return by e-mail to the Membership Development Officer, by 15 February 2023.
SAAFoST Membership Development Officer
Tel: 071 870 2633
|2019||Nico Walters (PhD)||SUN|
|2019||Kgothatso Tlhapi (MSc)||TUT|
|2018||Oluwakemi Adewumi (MSc)||CPUT|
|2018||Neil Miller (PhD)||SUN|
|2017||Lara Alexander (PhD)||SUN|
|2017||Itumeleng Magabane (MSc)||UP|
|2016||Letitia Schoeman (PhD)||SUN|
|2016||Neil Miller (MSc)||SUN|
|2003||Sune St Claire Botha||SUN|
|2002||Robert E Bajner||UP|
|2001||Marise C Cronje||SUN|
|2000||Peter R Vassen||UFS|
|1999||Belinda van der Merwe||UP|
|1994||Suretha de Kock||UP|
|1990||P G Randall||UP|
|1988||C M Joubert||UP|
|1982||Catherina M du Toit||SUN|
|1881||Catherina M du Toit||SUN|