Only for full time students.
The South African Association for Food Science and Technology (SAAFoST) Foundation is inviting interested learners to apply for bursaries in the field of Food Science and Technology. The SAAFoST Foundation is offering bursaries for matriculants to participate in full time study, awarded on the basis of academic merit, employment equity, and demonstrated potential.
The selection of candidates is based on the following criteria:
- Preference will be given to matriculants who excel academically and / or demonstrate potential.
- Admission requirements include a FETC (G) [Further Education & Training Certificate (General)], or recognised equivalent, with an achievement rating of at least 5 in both Mathematics and Physical Science. Life Science is recommended.
- Final selection will take the National Benchmarking Test results, or equivalent, carried out by the relevant South African Tertiary Education institution, into account.
- Applicants must be enrolled for full time undergraduate study for a first degree or diploma in the field of Food Science and Technology at a South African Tertiary Institution.
- In order to re-qualify for the bursary in subsequent years, the applicant must be in a position to complete his / her chosen study programme within the prescribed period of the relevant Tertiary institution or the following period:
Undergraduate Degree (up to BSc Hons) – 4 years
B. Tech Degree – 5 years
Diploma – 4 years
- Applicants must be South African citizens who have been resident in South Africa for at least 3 years prior to application.
- Applicants will be required to provide a written personal statement of not more than 1 A4 page outlining how their education and training in the field of food science and technology will make a positive difference in their lives and in the scientific community.
- Applicants will be required to submit a reference that speaks of the applicant’s character. The reference letter will be written by someone who has known the applicant in a learning capacity for at least 3 years.
- Applications will be reviewed by the SAAFoST Foundation, whose decision is final and binding.
The bursary includes financial assistance for the following:
- Actual tuition fees levied by the tertiary institution as per a statement of account issued by the institution in the name of the student up to a maximum of R40 000.00 per annum. The payment is made directly to the Tertiary institution in two instalments – the second instalment being subject to satisfactory results in the first semester.
- The student will be required to sign a contract as acceptance and agreement to the conditions outlined below:
- Granting of bursaries is not automatic and SAAFoST Foundation reserves the right not to award a bursary.
- Only students who apply within the specified date and have completed the required application forms and whose registration has been accepted by a university will be considered.
- Applicants must register as members of SAAFoST within the first three months of registration at the tertiary institution of choice and must become and remain active members of SAAFoST for the duration of study.
- The student will be required to provide the SAAFoST Foundation with a six monthly report and exam results outlining the highlights of the year’s study including participation in SAAFoST activities.
- The bursary will at the sole discretion of the SAAFoST Foundation be converted into a loan repayable in equal installments, as determined by the SAAFoST Foundation , at the prime rate of interest if, without formal permission of the SAAFoST Foundation:
- The student terminates or interrupts (incl. changing courses) his / her studies,
- The student does not complete his / her studies within the period stated above
- The student fails any year or semester of study.
- Should the recipient not successfully complete all of the stipulated courses in any bursary year or not successfully complete any outstanding subjects as supplementary examinations prior to the commencement of the following academic year, then at the sole discretion of the SAAFoST Foundation the bursary may be suspended for the following year with the proviso that, should the recipient successfully complete all of the courses in that subsequent year including any carried over courses from the previous year, then the SAAFoST Foundation will refund to the recipient, all suspended tuition fees and the bursary shall then continue as before, however, no repeated courses, subjects, or modules shall be paid for by the SAAFoST Foundation.
Closing date for applications: 31 October 2022
Review period: November
Award announcement: December
Ensure that you provide the following with your completed application form:
- A head & shoulders passport size photograph of yourself
- A certified copy of your ID book or RSA passport
- A certified copy of your Grade 11 final examinations and last Grade 12 examinations (Part B and C) Achievement Rating of 5 or 60-69% in Mathematics and Physical Science
- Personal Statement (Part D)
- Reference Letter (Part D)
- The Applicant’s National Benchmarking Test/ Potential Test results from the relevant Tertiary institution
The awarded bursary will be administered by the SAAFoST Foundation, in liaison with the Student Liaison Representatives at each academic institution.
Completed applications must be e-mailed to the SAAFoST Membership Development Officer.
SAAFoST Membership Development Officer
Tel: 071 870 2633
|Jean-Paul Eksteen||SUN||2019 – 2022|
|Rory Lutz||SUN||2019 – 2022|
|Jana Schreuder||SUN||2019 – 2022|
|Shaun Riley||SUN||2019 – 2022|
|Lara van der Merwe||SUN||2019 – 2022|
|Tilana Marais||UP||2019 – 2022|
|Msizi Nhlabathi||UP||2019 – 2022|
|Faseeha Mukadam||UP||2018 – 2021|
|Lucy Purdon||UP||2018 – 2021|
|Anja Steyn||UP||2018 – 2021|
|Susmita Maharaj||DUT||2017 – 2020|
|Delia Meyer||SUN||2016 – 2019|
|Annette Grobbelaar||SUN||2016 – 2019|
|Moniska Claasen||CPUT||2016 – 2019|
|Stephanie Phelps||SUN||2015 – 2018|
|Caroline Bursey||SUN||2015 – 2018|
|Jani Bisschof||SUN||2015 – 2019|
|Alexandra Rust||SUN||2014 – 2017|
|Celia Walters||SUN||2014 – 2017|
|Kayla-Ann Jordaan||SUN||2014 – 2017|
|Emma Phillips||SUN||2013 – 2016|
|Nomzamo Dlamini||UP||2013 – 2016|
|Carin-Marie Engelbrecht||SUN||2012 – 2015|
|Sizo Msipha||UP||2012 – 2015|
|Nabilah Luckan||CPUT||2011 – 2014|
|Bianca Lee King||UP||2011 – 2014|
|Lesego Molatlhegi||TUT||2011 – 2016|
|Lindie van Wyk||UP||2010 – 2013|
|Claire Kirkby||SUN||2010 – 2013|
|Kara Muller||SUN||2010 – 2013|
|Adrian Thorne||UP||2009 – 2012|
|Suhina Ramsuraj||DUT||2008 – 2011|
|Nandi Strachan||SUN||2008 – 2011|
|Liezel Hugo||CPUT||2007 – 2010|